|2007 Toyota Sienna|
Below are 4 reasons we decided to buy a van.
- We have never had a car payment during our marriage of 5 years, so in our car search we wanted an affordable vehicle that we could pay cash for. Unfortunately, we hadn't been saving for a car, so we only had the $6,000 we received from our insurance company for the value of Alex's camry. We are Dave Ramsey fans and had been living debt free, but this time around we did get a small loan. We're hoping to pay it off by the end of the year.
- Most people would buy an SUV or wagon if they needed a larger vehicle, but if you are really comparing prices, vans are much cheaper. Yes, I would love to drive an SUV over a boring minivan, but sacrificing looking cool for peace of mind is completely worth it.
- We would like to add to our family very soon and space is a must. We take lots of trips to visit family (4 hours north for my in-laws, 2 hours south for my family), and a van is perfect for road trips! The van has a DVD player with 2 headsets which is one of my favorite features.
- Right after we purchased the vehicle and were about to drive it off the loft, I noticed Turner had a dirty diaper. Cue the giant trunk. I laid him in the back and had a perfect place to lay him out and change his diaper. It felt like such a luxury compared to changing his diaper in the front seat of our car.
- Alex is very tall, and can't drive comfortably with a car seat behind his seat. This isn't the reason we bought a van, but it was the reason we crossed sedans off the list of potential vehicles.
- We run a small woodworking business, BuiltWell, and make lots of trips to Lowe's & Home Depot for wood. Thankfully up until this point, our gracious neighbors have let us borrow their truck. Alex's dream is to own a truck, but a 4 door truck just wasn't in our budget at this time. A van was the next best thing that had large trunk space and seats that folded down.
- I am ecstatic that I can FINALLY pick up those random pieces of furniture I see on the side of the road! Alex on the other hand, not so excited.
There you have it! Now, I totally get it if you aren't a minivan fan. It's not for everyone, but it is just what our family needed at moment in our lives.
Do you own a minivan? Are you for them or against them?